Sunday, May 27, 2007

Happy Birthday, Julie Q.

Happy birthday, Julie!

Since you got me started in this blog business, I might as well write about your birth day.
You came 5 days early, not that tripping on a hole in the carpet at the old church where we were speaking in the Spanish Ward and falling to my knees down two steps in front of everyone had anything to do with it.
I went into labor around 6:00 a.m. the next morning. My brother, David, was coming over at 9:00 to help your Dad move the furnace over so we could add a room downstairs. Your Dad said I had to hang on ‘til after that. I did, but not without a few complaints. After the furnace got taken care of (first things first) David stayed with the 4 older kids while we went to the hospital. As we were going out the driveway, I noticed a rose that was ready to bloom. I told your Dad to bring it to me when it bloomed. He came into the room that evening with a lovely rose hanging limply over his hand. Sister, Kathy, had sat on it in the car. But it survived. That was back in the days when children could not come in to visit but could stand on a certain place on the lawn and I could wave down to them.
When I was on the delivery table you were still kicking. The doctor said I would have a big, active boy. I told him, No. It’s a girl and her name is Julie.” (pre-sonogram days) Hey, you were my 6th baby. I was pretty good at figuring it out by then. Sure enough, when you were born he plopped you on my stomach and said, “Here’s your Julie.”
You were our biggest, healthiest baby. Our only concern came when you were about two weeks old and decided that projectile vomiting was great entertainment. We could count on it after your 6:00 p.m. feeding. That lasted about two weeks and then you settled down to be a delightful baby with BIG blue eyes and a ready smile.
You were an explorer and a CLIMBER. Dad about had a heart attack when he was up on the top of the house repairing the roof. He heard, “Daddy!” and turned around to find you at the top of the18’ ladder. We weren’t sure you would reach the ripe old age of two.
We’re glad you did. We’re proud of you and your many accomplishments. Reflections awards in literature, piano festival trophies, chamber choir, scholarships, and a masters degree to name a few. You’ve brought us a lot of joy as well as presenting us with a great son-in-law, our first grandchild and three other wonderful grandchildren to follow.
You’ve come through the rough times in your life with flying colors. You’ve learned what your priorities are and you are doing a super job as a wife, mother, daughter, friend and daughter of God.
Hang on to your dreams. We love you.

Mom and Dad

5 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

It's a good thing Julie Q. has you around so you can let all her blogging pals know when it is her birthday :) !! I always knew she was an AMAZING and REMARKABLE woman, but this post just makes it even clearer.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Aww...too sweet. Happy Birthday Julie!

Julie Q. said...

Thanks Mom. I love these stories. It makes it worth turning a year older (am I really THAT OLD?!!) to hear them again. It wouldn't be my birthday if I didn't get to hear all about how Dad had to finish the furnace project before he could take you to the hospital. I'm glad to see all the details in print. For some reason I always thought he was REPAIRING the furnace (which doesn't really make sense - where's the urgency of that in MAY?). Now I see that it was all about making room for the new addition. I remember that old house and how tiny it was. I'm glad you didn't stop having kids just because your house was filling up :)

Andrea said...

What a great tribute. So fun to read.

Anonymous said...

What a great birth story! I think I need to nag my mom to start a blog now...

Deanna, thanks for stopping by my blog, and for the kind compliments!

Happy birthday, Julie!